« Second City, third string radio | Main | Member #17 used to sell tickets? »

March 11, 2005

Low-wattage radio gets a low-wattage station

Air America is coming to Dallas and Austin. KOKE 1600 AM in Austin will start their broadcasts on Monday March 14, and KXEB 910 AM in Dallas (owned by Border Media Partners) will start the liberalism flowing on March 21. They're already on in Corpus Christi.

Austin, well, they should fit right in. However, in the case of Dallas they might have a bit of a problem even getting started. It's apparently a low-wattage, static-filled station. Story in "A Texas forum for Franken - albeit faint":

...Air America executives, who called the expansion in Texas the high point for the network, said Mr. Franken will find an audience, even in President Bush's home state.

"We're providing an alternative for a minority that feels alienated," CEO Danny Goldberg said...

"We don't lie. Rush lies all the time. ... He's ridiculous on so many levels," said Mr. Franken, who will be in Austin for his first show on KOKE-AM (1600).

Others aren't convinced that listeners will turn the radio dial to the left.

"You're in Bush country, you're a liberal, and you have a bad signal. That's a lot going against you," said Jeff Hillery, program director for KLIF-AM (570).

Posted in Meta at March 11, 2005 09:05 AM

Comments

I am SOOOOO glad we finally don't have to listen to those hate spewing right wing lugnuts on the AM dial anymore. They all have the exact same talking points so they don't really have to think for themselves. It will be devine.

Posted by: Shunk Wugga at March 13, 2005 09:32 AM

Not that anyone with XM or Sirius couldn't already listen to Air America in TX--duh--but it will be a welcome addition to the airwaves, and I can flip over to it after Howard Stern on weekdays with a nice chunk of interesting talk from 10-3 pm, topping off my work day with good 'ol Jeff Ward on KLBJ-AM.

Posted by: J. at March 13, 2005 01:03 PM

I am very happy they are starting in Dallas. Its about time. It's a huge market here, and liberals/progressives are not as few and far between as you seem to think. I'll have them locked in along with the Ticket for my sports fixes.

Posted by: goyen1 at March 15, 2005 03:29 PM

Finally some entertainment comes to AM radio.

Posted by: T DEM at March 16, 2005 09:56 PM

Hoo boy. Now you get to hear your liberal goddesses "joke" about assassinating the President and complain about "not getting any". I can tell you're wild with anticipation.

Posted by: Postal Guy at March 17, 2005 09:42 PM

Postal Guy, It will be most entertaining to finally have someone on the radio to expose with FACTS, O'reilly (the phoneboy), Limbaugh (the bagboy), Hannity (Just boy)and all the other right wing haters who dominate our airwaves. Its going to be FUN!

Posted by: T DEM at March 17, 2005 10:04 PM

It's a great day in texas for liberal radio and thank goodness. My name is Jack M. and i used to work at KLIF-AM and I'm still in the media business. What Jeff Hillary said is nothing but lies because with the right promotion 910am can compete KLIF. First of all, Jeff Hillary doesnt know what the hell he is talking about because the guy is not creative enough how to boast his station ratings. The only station i would care about saying that is WBAP but listening to a #3 KLIF PD take it with a grain of salt. Imagine being the only democrat working up there but i stood my ground.

Posted by: Jack M. at March 20, 2005 12:06 PM

Belo's been the overwhelming media voice here for years thanks to their monopoly. So people think the whole Dallas population is as far right as they are. I just love independent-thinking types like yourself who clearly are in tune with what's out there among the general population. (Hint: last sentence is SARCASTIC.)

Viva Air America! I'm making a point to support each and every one of their advertisers!

Posted by: amy at March 22, 2005 12:13 PM

Amy, I too am going to make a point of supporting their advertisers. I am also going to make a point of not supporting advertisers on the right wing shows who do not advertise on Air America. Plus encourage my family and friends to do the same.

Posted by: T DEM at March 22, 2005 05:00 PM

"Right wing haters", T Dem? You have no room to lecture us about hating if you are supporting the Airhead America crew. I repeat: Randi Rhodes "joked " about assassinating Bush back in May. Janeane Garofalo called evangelical Christians a bunch of dicks, and she called black conservatives house negroes. Mike Malloy wants to gather up all the GOP congressmen who dipped their fingers in ink to show solidarity with the Iraqi voters and slice their fingers off. And Al Franken keeps getting into screaming matches with any consevative talk show host he sees. Go peddle your venom somewhere else.

Posted by: Postal Guy at March 27, 2005 06:12 PM

Over here in NYC, 770 wabc is the most popular AM radio station. In NY, the liberal capital of the world, WABC's lineup includes:

Curtis Sliwa (along with a liberal lawyer who loves the mob)
John Gambling
Sean Hannity
Mark Levin
Laura Ingraham
Monica Crowley
Rush
Andrew Wilkow

...all conservatives. Al Franken has no chance in Texas.

Air America is so pathetic that it is now laughable. I think UHF on the old tv dialer is more popular than AA. It is certainly more relevant.

Posted by: jay at March 28, 2005 09:11 AM

I live in DFW Metroplex. I tried to listen for 5 min twice. It sounded like mindless hate radio. Most of what I have heard sounded like talking points. No new ideas...just hate. Even a lot of thier ads were kind of hateful. I have figured out why this maybe thought as growing format. It is the format of last resort. Air America is the XFL of talk radio.

Posted by: Thelistener at April 8, 2005 02:23 PM

I am pleased that the DFW area has had its so-called Christian armor shield pierced. It's only because the ignorant are followers with no alternative that this disease has spread unabated. Let's look forward to more canaries spreading the truth about this horrible blight being spread across our democracy.

Jesus was a pacifist!

Posted by: Pat Sparks at May 3, 2005 07:39 PM

I've been listening to AM 1600 since the inception here in Round Rock, TX. I got so tired of Sam Cox on AM 590 where I used to get my news. I actually felt sorry for Ed and Mark.

Posted by: TXatheist at January 27, 2006 12:07 PM