« Air America Radio ratings Spring '05: off the charts! | Main | Monterey County is in for a treat »

July 20, 2005

Four words Bobby: Chattanooga, WDOD, Air America?

WDOD 1310 AM is Chattanooga, Tennessee's oldest radio station but their big band format is in trouble, the local paper reports, and they're considering picking up Air America Radio as one possibility to boost their ratings. At this point in time I'm reminded of a popular definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Apparently their mainstay DJ is Earl Freudenberg, and he's been at the station since 1963. Their general manager had these words that probably have Earl a bit on edge:
Mr. Downs said morning host Earl Fruedenberg "is a fixture on WDOD and we expect he will remain a fixture for a long time to come."

Asked if the 6-10 a.m. slot for Mr. Freudenberg would be affected by the changes, he said, "Probably not."
I have a tip for them that might actually help, and, no, I'm not joking: add AAR programming, but have Earl "fisk" (as we say in blogdom) what he hears on the Franken and especially Mike Malloy shows. Start out slow so AAR HQ doesn't catch on, but by the time this new "AAR Remixed" format becomes popular it'll be too big to stop.

Posted in Meta at July 20, 2005 12:29 PM

Comments

We all have to hope that the decision by WDOD to change to liberal talk radio is not final. The music played by WDOD was made by artists who did not feel it necessary to curse, encourage drug use or violence to garner an audience. Nor did they feel it necessary to attack the President in wartime.

If the decision by WDOD management is carried out, Chattanooga's airwaves will be bombarded by Air America shows featuring people who attack our Commander in Chief, disdain our servicemen and revel in every report of recruiting difficulties, wish for an end to indecency regulations in the hope that a thousand Howard Sterns may bloom, and mock religious faith. This is not what we are about as a community, and we need to do everything we can to keep the stench of liberal talk radio out of our city, and the fragrance of America's greatest music ever present.

I ask our neighbors to write the advertising community and let them know that Air America is not welcome or needed here. I hope this looming danger is discussed in our churches this Sunday. Let us hope that a way is found to keep WDOD's nostalgic music on the airwaves, and that our Earl will always have a clean and pleasant showcase worthy of his talents and long service to our community. Air America, you are not welcome here in Chattanooga! We reject your filth and treason!

Posted by: Fred Hardwell at July 22, 2005 04:21 PM

aar is great. i hope it comes to tn. finally we can talk about the chickenhawk administration that lied us into war. shame on these extremists and seditionists who take their talking points from a fat, heroin addicted, three times divorced, doctor shoppin criminal, who dodged the draft 8 times, like rush limbaugh. at least some of the aar hosts have served their country in war and dont just run around with fake bumper stickers on their car bragging about their tax cut. give me a break. they will do great here.

Posted by: billy at July 23, 2005 11:38 AM

I pray this change will not come about. I keep my radios on WDOD - 1310 - and enjoy the music and Earl. It is evident that he cares about this area and its citizens. I cannot imagine why advertisers would not want to have as loyal a group as Earl's listeners. I personally try very hard to patronize his sponsors. I have bought my last two automobiles and many appliances from them.

I wish we had a group to picket as the stars did when WSM proposed to change their format.

Posted by: Jacque at August 3, 2005 09:39 AM

I am outraged that a well established radio station feels that they have to go to slut radio talk shows to keep them on the air waves. This is ludicrous. We don't need this in Chattanooga we need to keep our clean radio station. I frequently use the sponsors that the Hey Earl show promotes. I will contact them personally nad ask them to pull the sponsorship from the station if the format is changed. And I will encourage my friends as well to stop using the sponsors of this station or for them to pull their sponsorship

Posted by: Jane Hayes at August 9, 2005 07:32 AM

This is ludicrous why change something that is not broke. If this change occurs I will not only not listen to this station any more but will call the sponsors that I use (which are many ) and tell them if they want my business either pull their adds or I will no longer use their product's or services.
Jane Hayes

Posted by: Jane Hayes at August 10, 2005 09:13 AM

I can imagine the shock, if someone, not aware of the change, tunes in and hears the filth from Air America.

Posted by: Calvin at August 23, 2005 08:55 AM

I have been listening to WDOD's Music of Your Life format since inception as have many of my friends. We all supported Earl's advertisers and enjoyed the format. What a shame that a man (Earl Freudenberg) has been forced to go elsewhere after a 40+ year run at one station (unheard of in radio).

I hope AAR is a complete failure and that WDOD has to crawl back to those of us who have been faithful listeners for all these years.

Posted by: Konnie Smithers at September 29, 2005 12:18 PM

Have been listening to WDOD this afternoon. I believe it is the'Randi Rhodes' show. After about 60 minutes or so, I have not heard a single 'local' advertisment. The closest has been a national Ace Hardware ad.

Posted by: allen johnson at November 9, 2005 02:34 PM

Now that WGOW has put the reprehensible Limbaugh on and become one half of a radio station (it never comes on after noon for me), how great that WDOD has brought patriotic fresh air to Chattanooga. If the 51% that let worst president in history pay his way into office (twice) haven't caught on to him by now, there is no hope for the nation.

Posted by: Lars at December 2, 2005 12:09 PM