« Arizona Republic covers AAR scandal? | Main | Now, say something nice about Randi Rhodes! »

August 05, 2005

It's say something nice about Al Franken Day!

Sure, negative comments about Stuart Smalley are as plentiful as stars in the sky. But, for a change of pace, I invite even his political foes to say something nice about him.

Posted in StuartSmalley at August 5, 2005 09:23 AM

Comments

Well, he still has his hair.

Posted by: Shep at August 5, 2005 10:52 AM

He's got a great face for radio! (too bad about the voice, though.)

Posted by: TC@LeatherPenguin at August 5, 2005 11:09 AM

Nicest things I can say about him, he's a devoted family man, G. Gordon Liddy has great respect for him, he's stinking rich, and he doesn't care whether you say nice things about him or not--he's good enough, smart enough, etc.

Posted by: Biff Tinkles at August 5, 2005 11:21 AM

He's not Randi Rhodes.

Posted by: Randi_Sucks at August 5, 2005 12:50 PM

He lives in New York and not in my state (Minnesota). At least...for now.

Posted by: Dave at August 5, 2005 12:58 PM

When he doesn't let his bitterness and anger get the best of him he's extremely funny. His "Lateline" series is still one of the funniest shows I've ever seen on television.

Posted by: David at August 5, 2005 07:45 PM

I worked for him for eight months on Lateline. he never acknowledged me.

believe me, I appreciated his ignorance.

Posted by: Glenn Bowen at August 6, 2005 05:23 AM

He's less disgusting than Michael Moore.

Posted by: Van Helsing at August 6, 2005 06:36 AM

I really liked him in the 70's

Posted by: Scott Royer at August 6, 2005 07:57 AM

At least he had the stones to comment on the AA/Gloria Wise scandal without referring anyone to a big bucks PR firm. He didn't duck the question and gave a straight forward answer, based on what he seems to have known at the time.

That's more than the NYT has done in 10 days.

Posted by: Becker at August 6, 2005 08:47 AM

He Well Serves His Political Masters, the Liberal Democrat Party.

He would have well served the Donner Party.

Posted by: tbshmkr at August 6, 2005 09:21 AM

Forthrightness Bores.

Al Franken Never Bores.

Posted by: paladin at August 6, 2005 10:28 AM

Al Franken is very quiet when he shuts up.

Sorry, best I could do.

Posted by: David at August 6, 2005 11:08 AM

Al Franken is extremely hard working. He is very intelligent. He knows his stuff. He does his research. He is at his best when playing actual audio of the liars in the GOP such as Rush Limbaugh or Bill O'Lielly. Thank God for Katherine Lampher though, as she keeps the, sometimes, rambling Franken on track and the show moving. I love the Al Franken show and we are lucky to have him fighting for democracy in America.

Posted by: Jim at August 6, 2005 11:28 AM

Something nice about Al Franken... that's a tough one...

I have never heard of Al Franken eating babies.

(I didn't say that he doesn't eat babies, it's just that if he does I have not heard about it)

Posted by: Keith at August 6, 2005 01:51 PM

Al Franken, he does not let the facts, nor reasoning abilities get in the way of his deeply felt dogma. No matter how much money he has, he is not above taking non profit organizaitons donations and using little kids money to advance his limited agenda.

Posted by: Dennis at August 6, 2005 02:04 PM

I guess that wasn't too nice. I'll try again.

Dogs don't pee on him.

Of course dogs have some standards.

Posted by: Dennis at August 6, 2005 02:08 PM

Keith--you're probably thinking about the VP--he's the public figure that eats babies. Likes to have them scrambled with eggs, as I remember. Not only didn't you hear about Al eating babies--you won't hear about Al eating babies. Al does like the odd omelette, not least of all because he's so totally French, but he prefers his eggs with cheese and onions. Please try to keep your facts in line with reality before you start nearly libeling the great Frenchmen of our time. Thank you.

Posted by: Biff Tinkles at August 6, 2005 03:19 PM

I'm sure he smells nice.

Posted by: Lone Ranger at August 6, 2005 03:53 PM

He once said he would tackle a heckler at a speech by President Bush.

Posted by: Brainster at August 6, 2005 04:28 PM

He doesn't sweat much for a fat guy.

Posted by: Scaramonga at August 6, 2005 06:08 PM

Did he once star in "Plan 9 From Outerspace"?? Or was it "They Saved Hitler's Brain"? His true calling isn't Off-Air America.

Posted by: Carpy at August 6, 2005 07:54 PM

Al Franken .......... hmmmmmmmmm ..... say something nice; like anything!

Nope. Can't say that I can.

Actually, not much worth the effort to try.

PS: Who let Jim (see above) in?

Posted by: Dick at August 7, 2005 03:58 AM

i noticed he has all his fingers. and he may have all his toes. so...my positive comment is that he can probably count to at least twenty.

Posted by: mikep at August 7, 2005 04:07 AM

He has some marginally pseudo-clever quotes, if truly his:

"The biases the media has are much bigger than conservative or liberal. They're about getting ratings, about making money, about doing stories that are easy to cover."

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world."

"When you encounter seemingly good advice that contradicts other seemingly good advice, ignore them both."

Posted by: DML at August 8, 2005 07:34 AM

Listen to his show on AAR and you'll quickly realize that he never was a very good comedy writer.

But 'dog gone it. Those wacky pseudo-intellectual types that make up about 3% of the available radio audience really like him!'

Posted by: kent at August 9, 2005 04:07 PM

Jim, I just reread your "compliment" about his on-air style: according to you, he's at his best when he's playing audio of the "other side," you say.

You realize, those folks he's sampling wouldn't be caught dead pulling such a puerile stunt, right?

Posted by: TC@LeatherPenguin at August 10, 2005 06:16 PM