« Air America sinks in Lake Tahoe | Main | Arizona Republic covers AAR scandal? »

August 03, 2005

Our Earl leaves WDOD!?!?

Previously we discussed the letters that Chattanooga TN's WDOD had received from angry listeners after it leaked out that they were considering switching from big band music to... Air America. WDOD's mainstay host is one Earl Fruedenberg, who joined the station when he left high school in 1965...

From the last link came this quote:

Mr. Downs said morning host Earl Fruedenberg "is a fixture on WDOD and we expect he will remain a fixture for a long time to come." Asked if the 6-10 a.m. slot for Mr. Freudenberg would be affected by the changes, he said, "Probably not."

As you might have guessed by now, starting Aug. 22 "Our Earl" will be on a new station, WDYN, 89.7. That's owned by Tennessee Temple University and Earl will be interspersing gospel with whatever else he does.

Apparently my idea of keeping Earl at WDOD and creating the "AAR Remixed" format by having him "fisk" what he hears from Al Franken was not heeded. Don't worry about Our Earl though: WDYN is 100,000 watts and can be heard for 95 miles around.

Posted in Meta at August 3, 2005 05:28 AM

Comments

Well, I guess this kills it. The stupid owners of WDOD are for certain going to try to shove Air America up the eardrums of a city that has no abortion clinic and fills its churches on Sundays. This is surely a case of trying to sell air conditioners to Eskimos.

Posted by: george at August 7, 2005 06:58 AM

Guess he saw no need to go down with the ship. Smart Man.

Posted by: calvin at August 8, 2005 05:57 AM

This is ludcrious you will find that Earl has a lot of loyal listners you are making a big mistake by changing the programing there are a lot of us older citizens around that still remember the good music. I would re think this if I were you

Posted by: Jane Hayes at August 10, 2005 09:00 AM

"No slut programs in Chattanooga!"
(Another Air America letter)

Posted by: mike at August 11, 2005 12:25 AM

Is Jerry Brown still with your area radio or T.V.?

Posted by: Mrs. Matthews at September 27, 2005 08:13 AM

Each day I drive from Atlanta to Chattanooga and look forward to the music and earl but alas, it can be no more. I am conservative and see no reason to listen to the trash on WDOD further. I shall now sisten to WDYN where Earl now resides. It is such a shame to see such a nice radio station go down the tubes with this liberal format.

Posted by: Jim at October 5, 2005 03:11 PM

I have listened to wdod for a lot of years. I will listen no more.

Posted by: charles at October 12, 2005 05:29 AM

I totally agree with the following 2 emails ...I could not say it any better.

So I guess you're saying that it's okay for G. Gordon Liddy, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Neal Boortz, Michael Savage and Ann Coulter to screech their "hatred laced with invective and vulgarity?"

I guess you're saying Chattanooga is a place where only one point of view matters?

Let's face it, Pete: You're not rallying people to "renounce defeatism and start believing in their country again," you're saying they should renounce dissent and start believing in Bush again. Where does this neo-fascist madness end? When are you Stepford Republicans going to understand that GWB and patriotism are not synonymous? How much of Karl Rove's Kool-Aid did you drink?

Ed Sterchi
Hixson

* * *

Pete,

You are absolutely correct. "Air America" ratings should surprise no one. I mean, after all, we helped elect Zack Wamp and George Bush.....need I say more?

You are also correct, this community doesn't need any more screeching hatred and vulgarity...after all, we have three hours of that former drug addict Rush Limbaugh preaching forgiveness and compassion Monday through Friday. Let's not forget Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity and Micheal Savage....all pillars of peace and love.

Don't forget, this is a community that has the courage to actually curtail our public library hours in a money saving "tough love" budget. I know on the surface it seems stupid to close libraries, but I'm sure it's for the best. Why heck, truth is, we all know plenty enough already, without having those pesky libraries open. God forbid, people might actually go in there and learn something they have no business knowing.

Lastly Pete, bear in mind, when a person has a different view other than what you think it should be, it doesn't mean he (or she) doesn't believe in this country. It might just mean they don't believe in our country's leadership.

Wes Ellis