« Mike Malloy's realness not disputed | Main | Ed Schultz nixed from Armed Forces Radio »

October 15, 2005

Air America's war on septuagenarians

As you'll recall, Air America Radio's sinking flagship WLIB was originally the voice of the Caribbean community in NYC, until it was abruptly silenced. Then, they replaced Our Earl on WDOD.

Now, in yet another blow to humanity, they're replacing Big Band music on KCTC in Sacramento, and the local septuagenarians are up in arms:
Their beloved nostalgia radio station, KCTC 1320 AM, is dropping its big-band and crooner format sometime before Nov. 1 to become Sacramento's Air America talk-radio affiliate. When it does, it will silence local airwaves of the music that these guys and others of a certain age grew up listening to.

"They're turning our music off!" groused Bob Hill, 79...
That's OK, I'm sure he'll enjoy the dulcet screech of Randi Rhodes.

This confirms previous speculation on this topic: Air America Sacramento: moving from KSAC to KCTC?

Posted in Meta at October 15, 2005 05:40 AM

Comments

Is it me or does this network have it in for old people?

Posted by: GregD at October 16, 2005 02:39 PM

I don't really know how to say this but will try. I started listening to KCTC when the music was moved from KGNR (way back) (can't remember the date-but it's been one hell of a long time.

I think the move to talk radio SUCKS, quite bluntly. All of the people I've talked to feel the same way. I don't know where they got the feeling that people weren't listening (my radio had only one station that was ever used- KCTC). They say these sort of things are decided by polls --- In my 70 years I've never been polled, and neither have any of the people I've talked to about this stupid change.

Stuff KCTC right where the sun doesn't shine, as it will never come up on my set again.

Bill Burger

Posted by: Bill Burger at November 1, 2005 11:47 AM

Sooo sad!!!! I have listened to KCTC for longer than I can remember. They advertised "the only station with the music of your life" and now that is dead. Now there is NO station with that wonderful music I grew up with. Seems to me we have plenty of talk shows on the radio already without adding another. KCTC has lost a listener for good and hopefully another station will affiliate with Music Of Your Life and return good music to the air.

Posted by: LeRoy G at November 5, 2005 04:53 PM

I moved here 2 years ago from Las Vegas. I was so happy when I found KCTC on my radio. We had a station similar to KCTC in Las Vegas but they had no talking at all and they played music all through the night. Why did KCTC do such a stupid thing? Not only seniors listen to this music, so do a lot of younger people. My 7 year old granddaughter would come over and I always had 1320 on and I would sing to her. She was amazed that I knew all the lyrics. The last time she came over she asked Grandma why isn't the radio on with your music? I told her they took it off the air. Her question was WHY! I said that's a good question I don't know WHY! Today I was in Woodland, at a concert of Cole Porter songs, most of the people there were seniors and everyone was asking everyone else if they found another station playing music like the Music of your Life. The answer of course was NO. That was the only station on every radio in my house (4), car radio and when I took the radio outside to do my gardening. Who was the IDIOT who had this bright idea. How can you tell how many people are listening to a radio station? I think the senior citizens should get to together and send a petition in to KCTC, so they can see how many people really listened to their station. That is where I first heard about the Norcal Big Band Preservation Society dances once a month. Talked to people from Capitol Nursery about my plants, went to the Senior Spectacular and the New Years Eve party at the Holiday Inn. Now it's all over but the MEMORIES! And they sure were good ones. The station manager of KCTC should know the saying " If it's not broke don't fix it." They sure screwed up on this one. Other parts of California still get the Music of your Life, but here in the Capitol city of California, Sacramento we don't. Now all my radios are silent. GOOD JOB KCTC I am saving money on electricity.
Helen Bayha

Posted by: Helen Bayha at November 19, 2005 10:15 PM

I have enjoyed the aforementioned comments, and I say DITTO to all of them. Just because some of the band leaders are gone, do they think we are all dead? Give me a break. I have gone and bought some GOOD CD's that I can now listen on my radio, so I agree talk radio sucks, and they can shove it where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: Wilma Abraham at December 30, 2005 11:42 AM