« Al Franken book reviewed in New York Times! | Main | AAR has syndication division; husband of Debbie Stabenow to head »

October 31, 2005

Is Leon Gray (WWTQ 680 AM Memphis) an apostate?

Leon Gray provides local reporting and commentary for Air America's Memphis affiliate WWTQ. He's also in a bit of hot water:

...There's a fairly humongous amount of fuming and snorting in party circles over the local Air America radio host's apostasy on certain matters – most relating to the Faith and Morals side of the political dividing line. What Gray has done in recent weeks has challenged both the party orthodoxy and the progressive consensus on all of the following: Intelligent Design (he's an advocate for it); gay rights (he has proclaimed, essentially, that gays have "forced" the rest of society to tolerate an equality that he sees as relating to lifestyle choice rather than irreversible being), and faith-based prerogatives in general, including publicly licensed prayer and doctrinal religious activity...

While Comrade David Cocke (no jokes please, he's the former local Democratic Party chairman) defends Gray, it is clear that Gray's statements, activities, and associations are consistent with being an Enemy of Air America. For the good of the Party and the People, he must at least be sent to Lebanon (the one in Tennessee) to atone for his crimes.

Posted in AlsoRans at October 31, 2005 08:03 PM

Comments

as for leon gray, he is about one of thr biggest racists {right behind sharpton and jackson} on the air. if his car runs out of gas, its because he's black. if his roof leaks it's because he's black. he plays this poor poor pitiful me because i'm black in the ground. not a good role model for for the black community.

Posted by: dan griffen at January 5, 2006 01:40 PM

The gay community does not get it; I am a Democrat and don't care and would not challange if gays have the same rights as married couples, but you can't and will never be able to legally get married in the US. The Republicans will continue to be corrupt and we can't take advantage of it in large part to this issue which affects less than 2-3 % of the population (despite the lies you spread about it being more). The bigoted, corrupted Republican party will continue to slaughter the Democrats in elections (major and minor) and in the Supreme courts in large part to this issue. Have a good day

Posted by: Jerrick at June 20, 2006 02:40 PM

Leon Gray would have been Republican if he weren't black.

He has been scrubbed from WWTQ without a trace. All of his ads and promos are gone.

An acquaintance of mine called WWTQ to get a few questions answered, and received a lot of no comments. It is pretty clear, however, that Leon Gray is no longer affiliated with WWTQ.

Nothing more to see here folks, move along.

Posted by: Dr. WMD at June 21, 2006 10:58 AM

where is Leon, I listen to him every evening on my way home from work? Now Randi Rhodes is on, who is great, but I love/miss Leon

Posted by: Barbara Douglas at June 21, 2006 02:34 PM

I was begining to wonder when they would finally get rid of Leon........ We really need to get a new local host who is actually a real progressive democrat.

Posted by: K Briggs at July 3, 2006 08:23 PM

LEON WAS ONE OF THE REALIST HOSTS ON RADIO, THE PROBLEM WAS HE WAS TOO REAL AND BLACK. HE SAID NO MORE OR LESS THAN ANY OTHER HOSTS, HOWEVER FOR SOME REASON WHAT HE WAS SAYING WAS OFFENISIVE BECAUSE HE SPOKE WITH SUCH CONVICTION. AT LEAST HE DID NOT STRADDLE THE FENCE AND TOOK THE SIDE OF GOOD. BY DISMISSING HIM, WWTQ HAS SHOWN THERE TRUE COLORS, I NO LONGER LISTEN TO YOUR STATION- WHITE FEMALE

Posted by: CATRINA DUGGER at August 8, 2006 07:15 AM

I listened to Leon on a daily bassis only to see if he could possibably have a show that was not racial. He could not. I had stopped supporting his addvertisers. It is refreshing to see that I am not the only one who saw this. I appreciate Air America for correcting this. I,m sure the addvertisers will be happy with this as well. I feel Memphis has enough probablems without Leon Gray adding his racial opression.

Posted by: G.Bennett at August 21, 2006 03:10 PM

Hooray! I can listen to WWTQ again (without throwing up). Leon Gray is a racist, misogynist homophobe and is a Democrat for the same reason the Fords are: it is the way to political power in west Tennessee if you are black. They all want dumbing down of education by their "Intelligent Design" and anti-gay agenda and if they are caught taking bribes, it was only because they are black. I know there are plenty of black true democrats who understand the politics of the left. Memphis is more than half black. Why can't we have a true Democrat with a local show? Failing that, can we get Carol Chumney? She is intelligent and articulate and seems to understand both democracy and Democratic politics.

Posted by: Linda Kuczwanski at August 29, 2006 11:55 AM